Friday, February 13, 2015

Valentine's Day Boxes


When I was growing up we always did Valentine's boxes for school. This wasn't a unique tradition lots of kids I knew did the same thing. You'd bring them to your party at school and pity the few kids whose parents didn't, who were then forced to use the lame paper sack you made at class.


I'm not sure if this was  Utah thing or if this is a dying tradition. Regardless of which I sat down with each of my boys and put together their choice of Valentine's boxes. Each of the boys were pretty happy with the results. When they took their boxes to class I was informed that they were the only ones who had Valentine's boxes. Miles teacher thought they were some sort of original inspiration and wanted pictures to show people great ways to recycle. An interesting take on Valentine's boxes that has never occurred to me.


As a result of either not wanting my children to be different or true ignorance on what a Valentine's box was; none of the boys actually got to use it like it was intended. However when they got home we dumped the candy and cards out of the lame paper sack they were forced into using and filled their boxes. I look forward next year to comparing to their Utah counterparts whether or not Valentine's boxes are regional...or archaic.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if valentine boxes are out because too many parents didn't bother. These boxes turned out great!

    ReplyDelete