Friday, November 29, 2013

Thanksgiving Sanderson Style!

Being a person who has dedicated their life to eating; Thanksgiving is a joyous holiday for me. For those of my children who prefer not to eat...it is less so. Liam was excited about the turkey, Ian was excited about pie and that the next Holiday is Christmas, and Miles was excited about candy corn.
A week or two ago, inspired by Martha Stewart, Matt spear headed a craft to make turkey's out of pine cones. They turned out pretty cute. We used them as center pieces for our Thanksgiving dining table and even got candy corn for the turkey's to eat. Unfortunately for the turkeys, the kids ate the candy corn instead.




We got a giant 24 lb turkey this year and it was chock full of awesome deliciousness. It was savory and golden and heaven in a turkey roasting bag.
I also single handedly cooked numerous side dishes. It's not that other people aren't willing to help, it's that I don't actually like help in the kitchen. I have a certain way of doing things that I believe is the most efficient and I get irritable if others help. The help I love to get (and did get) was with dishes. I didn't have to clean a single dish and I dirtied a lot of them.
When we sat down to eat everyone said what they were thankful for. Liam was thankful for Chicken Little, Ian was thankful for his family, and Miles was thankful for Goofy. I'm glad they all had something to be thankful for. Liam went to town and ate mostly turkey and gravy. Ian (who had begged for cheese and pie) cried when I put a roll, turkey, potatoes, and cheese on his plate. He just wanted cheese and pie. Miles thought all his food was disgusting, but finally ate cool whip with his candy corn. I was happy he just ate. Thanksgiving was delicious and we all had a lovely time. All three of the adults (myself, Matt, and Heather) were much more appreciative of the dinner. Everyone enjoyed the buttermilk pies and the pumpkin maple bars we had for dessert. I love my beautiful family.

No comments:

Post a Comment