Saturday, November 23, 2013

Ward Halloween Party and Halloween 2013



Of all the Holidays in the year, Halloween is Liam's favorite. He loves every goofy cartoon. He loves every tradition. He loves the candy. Naturally he loves the candy. His enthusiasm is contagious and he sweeps his brothers into the Halloween madness with him. This year I took the three boys to the Halloween costume shop and let them pick out whatever they wanted.

Miles picked out Scooby Doo. Scooby Doo has been a favorite cartoon of his for the last year. Since Halloween he has insisted on re-wearing this costume almost daily.

Ian picked out a police sheriff costume. Previously he had mentioned a desire to be a: cheetah, blue cat, SpongeBob, a Ninja turtle, a cowboy, Spiderman, Batman....the list is infinite.

Liam managed to find a caveman costume. Never mind that it was an adult sized one. His heart was set on it. He especially liked the bone necklace and the fact that the club squeaked when you hit things with it.
The ward Halloween party was a lot of fun. There were a bunch of games set up: a mummy wrap donut eating contest (my kids did that one a lot of times), a bean bag toss, and other Halloween themed games. There was a chili dinner. Lastly there was a trunk or treat. We'd just got back from Corpus Christi and were a little sun burned. I dressed up as Princess Chuck-E-Cheese and Matt was excited to dress as a civilian.

On Halloween itself the kids had speech therapy. They got to wear their costumes to therapy and go trick or treating there. This is Liam with his therapist Ms. Kat.
This is Ian pictured with his therapist Ms. Erica.
After therapy we went into the garage and carved up our pumpkins. This year all three of them were willing to touch the pumpkin guts and were enthusiastic about carving the pumpkins.


Heather came out and helped clean and carve pumpkins too. She was good enough to hand out candy for us later on while Matt and I took the kids trick or treating.


For dinner we had home made nachos. I don't believe in punishing children by making them eat some nasty dinner (e.g. sixteen bean soup) before they're allowed to go trick or treating. I made a dinner that was a no fight dinner.



Right before trick or treating Ian realized that he needed a mustache. I stole Heather's eye liner and gave him an awesome policeman handlebar.
After seeing Ian's magnificence Miles insisted on a mustache too. I obliged by giving him a Snidely Whiplash.

The facial hair trend once started could not be stopped. Liam was willing to forgo the mustache, but insisted on some scruffy stubble.
If I do say so myself our pumpkins looked AWESOME. Heather carved Boo into hers, Liam (wielding the knife himself) carved a traditional face, Miles (who likes everything Liam does) had me carve something similar, and Ian wanted me to carve a Buzz light Year face into his (unfortunately this started to fall apart, but I was able to put it back together using nails).

Halloween was a huge success. The boys had plenty of candy to make themselves sick with, their costumes were adorable, and once again the weather was in the seventies to eighties so we didn't have to worry about coats.

1 comment:

  1. That is some mighty fine facial stubbery if I do say so m'self.

    ReplyDelete