Sunday, August 25, 2013

Gorman Falls

 A while back we'd learned of fantastic pacific northwest style micro-climate waterfall known as Gorman Falls. So in our infinite wisdom we decided to drive out to the Colorado Bend State Park and hike it in August in Texas. We had some insane idea that it was a short hike, I'm not really sure why. It was a round trip of 3 miles. This doesn't seem too far, but we had three small children and Texas summer heat. We started hiking strong. Each boy brought a gun so they could go "hunting". Before we were half way to the waterfall I'd been roped into being the pack mule for all weapons, diaper bags, and water. Matt got stuck carrying Miles.
 It was hot with minimal to no shade. The boys were going through water at a ferocious rate. We'd brought over a gallon of water. I began to get worried almost immediately about having enough water. Being a Utah raised girl I'm able to go a really long time without water. I didn't drink anything on the way there.
 By the time we'd reached the waterfall we'd gone through over half of our water and I'd accidentally spilled some as well which was annoying. The waterfall was really beautiful and did have its own micro-climate. If all the hike had been like this it would have been lovely. In fact the walk there was open rocky ways with cactus and the occasional scraggly tree that offered limited to no shade. We all really enjoyed the beautiful water fall.
 After a short stop to admire the view and snap a few pictures we headed back. After the initial steep climb out I gave Matt supplies and took Miles. I was tired of being the water girl. Eventually as we hiked out through climbing humid temperatures I felt Miles slump over. Matt was anxious thinking Miles had heat stroke, but I reassured him...Miles was just taking a nap. He slept that way the remainder of the way back to the car. Little Ian and Liam were such troopers. Exhausted, hot, and increasingly thirsty they managed to walk their little aching feet back to the car. I drank less than an eighth of a cup of water on that hike. Utah girls are tough that way, but made up for it by stopping at the nearest gas station buying Gatorade and drinking about half a gallon of it.
All in all, despite the heat and the water situation it was a pretty awesome hike and the waterfall was absolutely gorgeous!

1 comment: