Saturday, August 10, 2013

Pioneers, Pesto and Prajapati

Pioneer Day is a special time for our family. Though it is not a Texas Holiday, it is a family one and we celebrate it every year regardless of where we are. Since I am a primary chorister, the Sunday closest to Pioneer Day I always have the kids sing Pioneer songs. I also relate the stories of some of my Pioneer ancestors. I frequently tell the story of Mary Ellen Normington who traveled with her family in the Martin Willie Handcart Company. Another pioneer story, of modern origin, that I love to tell is that of my Grandma Mary.
 It was fun for us this year to go to a ward pioneer day breakfast.The kids loved going out for breakfast and it was fun to visit with our fellow ward members, and have a little program put on by the young men and women.
Unlike other meals, all my children eat breakfast. If your familiar with my eating habits, you will know why I find this unnatural. We had a great time celebrating this holiday, but must admit that we greatly missed the festivals and activities that we used to attend in Utah.
My two younger boys love stuffed animals. Ian lately has taken to trying to buckle his stuffed animals into car seats, and the other day I walked into the kitchen to find that he had several them comfortably sitting at the table eating lunch with Miles and him. Ian had his particular favorites: his orange baby zebra, his plastic snake, Miles'white seal, and Shamu. Miles favorite, Cat in the Hat, was forced to share a seat with him.
Miles thinks he's grown up these days. He's been fighting the booster seat, and definitely wants to feed himself. This has its pros and cons. Pro: I don't particularly enjoy spoon feeding children. Con: It's so much messier when they feed themselves. Ironically for a little boy that refuses to eat peanut butter and jelly, pizza, macaroni and cheese, or any other kid typical foods...Miles loves pesto. He has what we call a refined palate. Notice the grin of anticipation as he's about to dig into his pesto.
Today we took a trip up to Temple where a very small Indian Bazar was being held at the Hindu Temple. There isn't a lot to do in these parts so we decided to support the local cultural group. I supported it through a deep love of Indian food. Matt supported it due to a desire to expose our boys to other cultures.
The kids enjoyed being able to go inside this Hindu Temple which looks fantastic compared to our Western architecture. We did have to take our shoes off before going into the temple. This was painful as the sidewalk felt like a hot breakfast griddle and my feet still feel raw from the ten feet from the shoe rack to the door. It was neat to see the shrines to Ganesha and other Hindu Gods.
The Bel Purhi was delicious and even Ian wolfed down some Mimosa. Liam and Miles refused to try anything. Matt and I have decided that Ian is the only one of them that can hope for a mission call to India. It was fun to go try some new things and visit a Hindu temple, which is something that I have never been to before. It made for a really fun excursion.

1 comment: