Friday, August 16, 2013

The Completion of Holometabolism or The Caterpillar: Part III



Our little chrysalis seemed to sit in an unproductive state for a few weeks until I read that this particular butterfly will not emerge for months until the appropriate conditions are met. It has to be fairly warm and they need a little moisture. A website I found said that if they form a chrysalis in late summer/early autumn, they can stay tucked up until the conditions are met the following spring. Since we keep our house at a pretty consistent cool temperature, I moved the jar outside and would occasionally mist the chrysalis. It would have been disappointing for the boys if nothing had happened.

I’m pretty sure that was the issue because just a few days later, on a bright, Sunday morning before church, I noticed the butterfly in the jar trying to dry its wings out. I called the boys out and they were jumping with excitement.




The wingspan was pretty impressive for such a tiny chrysalis.


We had each of the boys hold the butterfly on their hand. The butterfly had no intention of holding still. Ian got a little nervous when it started crawling up his arm.

Liam wasn't sure what to make of the little butterfly either. He was okay with it stretching its wings but not crawling on his arm.


Miles repeatedly tried throwing rocks at it, convinced it was some type of dangerous bug. We didn't let him have a turn holding it for fear he would squash it.



The marking indicated it was a male, which seemed natural to the boys. (It's funny how little kids always assume something that isn't easily identifiable as a male or female is their own gender.)


We left for church about five minutes later with the butterfly sunning and drying itself on our marigolds in the front garden. It was a fun, rewarding project that helped the boys get to know a little more about the creatures that inhabit their Great Plains home.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the invitation. This is beautiful. I love the butterflies and the handsome boys all dressed for church. I miss you all so much.
    Love,
    Maga

    ReplyDelete