Friday, August 26, 2016

Renaissance Festival


Back in January when my nephew Weston turned 12 we gifted him an I.O.U. for the Renaissance Festival. It was time to pay up and we brought Weston down with our motely crew to the Renaissance Festival at Thanksgiving Point.



The thing I thought was the greatest? A little petting zoo. It was all enclosed and the animals were just roaming around. Ellie was in total animal heaven. She stayed in there for over twenty minutes and I had to drag her screaming from the petting zoo. She didn't, however, like it if the animal she was mauling looked too closely at her. (she seemed to objects to their heads).



I did make a phone call and make Matt bring over the other kids to get in on the petting zoo action too. They didn't like it nearly as much as Ellie, but they liked it well enough.



I had to force Ian to touch the animals. The little coward was refusing point blank to touch a goat. Being the awesome Mom that I am; I not only made him touch a goat, I made him pose for a picture too.



Weston had no problem petting the goats.



Ian and Miles favorite thing was the Birds of Prey show. They had a ton of birds and the boys were able to get a really good look at the cool birds and learn all about them.



I couldn't find the boys awesome tunics (just Liam's awesome tunic), but all the boys managed some form of costume anyway. Ellie got forced into some fairy wings; because I thought they were cute. I love having a girl that isn't old enough to fight about clothes yet.



The kids had a great time at the Renaissance Festival, but loved all the atmosphere. It was pretty small compared to the massive ones in Texas, but as a huge bonus it only cost 25$ for the family instead of 180$ in Texas.



We got a whole bunch of Turkey Legs (what else would we eat at a Renn Fest?) Best part? They were sold at a "Texas BBQ" place and when they saw Matt's TX driver's license they gave him 50% off from one Texan to another. SWEET DEAL!!!



Liam's favorite part of the Renaissance Festival was the jousting. For me the jousting was a little red neck weird, but they put on a good show, and the boys loved it. I'm a little more used to fake English Accents and attempts at Medieval behavior and a little less blasting of "God Bless the USA" with back woodsy insults in Intermountain West accent.



All the kids were able to pick out a souvenir. Liam picked out a brand new tri-cone hat. It actually was a pretty classy one.



Ian wanted a wooden sword that came with its own over the shoulder scabbard.



Weston picked a gigantic wooden sword.



Miles picked out a spy glass. I must admit I don't think we got Ellie any souvenir since she didn't seem to care. It was a great time. We even got to see Aunt Meagan, Tom, Lani and Ari briefly. It was great and I think a definite repeat next year.

1 comment:

  1. That looks like an awesome time. I love the turkey,it's unbelievable. So you got a smoking deal.
    Plus I have seen all the souvenirs. They're superior. I kept asking whose tri-corn hat? But Miles and Ian didn't know. So the mystery is solved. Because that is one cool hat...speaking as a New Englander.
    Heather said next time give her a heads up so she can go too.

    ReplyDelete