Saturday, September 9, 2017

Camping and Racing Home to Race!


This year Matt was determined to take the boys out on the Fathers and Son camp out. We had to buy a tent as our previous one did not survive Texas. The boys were so excited. They took up bows and arrows. They got to bring their sleeping bags they had gotten for Christmas. 


Miles kept telling Matt over and over again "Thank you for bringing me camping Daddy, thank you." I love that the boys were so excited to do this overnight camping thing. It just goes to show that I don't taking them camping very often. Lisa + no sleep + cooking over a camp fire+ no hot water= not going to happen very often. 


The next morning we had arranged to have all three of the boys and I run at the Layton classic race. Liam and I were slated for the 5k and Ian and Miles were set for the kids k. After trying to train with Liam for a couple of weeks I asked my sister Becky to take his spot. (Liam had made death threats, suicide threats, told me he was too old, told me he was too young, he yelled out to strangers to please save him, and faked injures). Becky and I geared up to go running. When the shot gun fired Becky took off.  I looked around at all the lean running machines around me and wondered...where are the old people, overweight people, kids, and otherwise out of shape people that usually run a 5k with me? That's when I realized this was the 10 k. I did try and stop Becky. I really did. I couldn't catch her. So Becky accidentally ran the 10k and I did the 5k. 


The little boys ran the kids k. They worked so hard. They literally collapsed at the finish line panting and sweating. They were so thrilled that they got their medals when they crossed the line. 


It was so much fun. I definitely think a repeat family run is in the future (minus Liam who will be babysat just like Ellie by Grandma Jamie). 

1 comment:

  1. Running isn't for everyone. Lol.
    I personally like to run on the beach at sea level.

    ReplyDelete