For my thirty-fourth birthday I opted go to Bear Lake to celebrate.
We got the obligatory raspberry shakes at the Quick N Tasty which are better (no matter what any of my relatives say) than La Beaus. Bonus some of the kids didn't like theirs and Matt and I got extra. We also got to eat in their little covered wagon table, which the kids thought was great.
I promised the children an afternoon at the beach. I didn't realize that with all the snow and spring run-off there was no beach left. The kids still hoped around on the narrow stretch of rocks.
Ellie stayed perched on her little rock looking adorable and getting her fluffy kitty dress damp.
It was frigid and chilly and the kids climbed into the water anyway and complained when I made them leave.
Liam kept asking to go to the cabin. It made me really sad. I didn't realize how much I miss the old family cabin and of course I always miss Grandma Mary.
We hiked the Limber Pine Trail. This is a family tradition. It still had patches of snow and lots of mosquitoes. I think I came away with a dozen mosquito bites at least. Next time I swear I will bring several cans of insect repellent with high levels of DEET.
The younger boys thought the hiking was fun. Liam complained the whole time. He is NOT an avid hiker.
It was a great way to spend my birthday. I remember so many times hiking these trails with my brothers and sisters, cousins, aunts, uncles, parents, and grandparents. How delightful it is to walk these loved trails with my own children. I did omit the cans of seven-up to be drunk with a red vine straw, a necessity when I was a kid.
We finished up and drove back home. Spending a day trip there really was a lovely way to spend the day.
Best birthday present
ReplyDelete