Monday, March 17, 2014

Warrior Leadership Course


During the month of January, I attended WLC at the NCO Academy up the street. It wasn't something I was particularly enthusiastic about doing as it meant I spent 99% of the month away from Lisa and the kids. When I first entered the army, it was an optional course, and maybe it still is at different installations. For those stationed at Ft. Hood, (particularly CRDAMC), it is something they won't let you escape attending.

It's funny, I never thought of myself as a particularly independent guy. But the longer I am part of an organization that tells me how to do something, when to do something and how to dress while doing it, the more my back gets set up. I put off attending WLC when I was told I had to go. When they no longer fretted me about it, I volunteered to do so. And I have to admit, there were many parts I enjoyed.


There was a guy I attended WLC with that was a sniper and had been deployed to Afghanistan. He told me that there was "army cool" and "army gay." The marching, the singing cadences, the standing at parade rest in the chow line, not to mention listening to bloviaters after the flag has gone down for the day all constitute "army gay." Learning how to use weapons, military tactics and reading about heroism constitute "army cool."

Least favorite part of WLC? Calling cadences. To me, that's a practice so outdated it should have been shelved with bayonet training. The coolest part? Land Navigation.

1 comment:

  1. Okay Matthew, to me mother, it all sounds Army Cool. Specifically I have always loved cadences. I really want to hear yours. My request is that you record any and all of any cadence that you participated in. Pretty please. ...

    ReplyDelete