Saturday, May 4, 2013

A Tribute to Maga

These past 6 months have been a real trial for our little family. When we first embarked on the serious decision to find out what had been plaguing Lisa all these years, we had no idea it would take this long to fix. For years, Lisa had been dealing with excruciating abdominal pain that the doctors finally diagnosed as urinary reflux (not the initial diagnosis—they initially diagnosed it as endometriosis). From just prior to Thanksgiving of last year, when they went in with a scope to take care of their initial diagnosis, through Christmas and a botched surgery for the real problem, and then on into February and the distinct discomfort of a Nephrostomy, (for those of you unfamiliar with it, a tube coming out of a hole they made in her back with her conscious the entire time) to this last surgery in March, it has been one long hellish experience for both of us and the kids.

Special thanks go to all the people in the ward that prepared meals and delivered them each time, for family members that called, (and sent meals too!), for parents financing trips and coming themselves. A special thanks goes to my mom, (Maga) who flew out on the generous donations of Jamie and my Dad, Rob, during out time of need. She soon learned the hectic schedules of two different schools, therapies and the crazy experiences of navigating around Ft. Hood. The kids grew really attached to her, and now have her firmly fixed in their vocabulary. (The guest bedroom is still, “Maga’s room.”)

Here are a few photographed highlights of her trip:



 


Liam was so excited to have Maga still with us one day, he made her a special sandwich. It was made with chicken nuggets, mustard and had an olive poked through the top. He used a bread tie since we didn't have toothpicks. Maga insisted on eating the whole thing, even though I'm sure it couldn't have been all that appetizing.




This one was of Ian after a long day at school. He showed how much he loved Maga by climbing into her lap, snuggling, and falling asleep.

I had a lot of fun with Magas, even though I worked the whole time she was here. My favorite experience was when Lisa packed us a lunch in the cooler and sent us to attend the Temple in Dallas. We had a very spiritual experience and enjoyed the beautiful Temple. Maga also learned first hand how annoying our GPS can be.



It was very hard to see Maga go. When I took Liam to cub scouts the Wednesday prior to her departure, decked out in the cap she had bought for his uniform, we let him know that like other great babysitters, (Nanny McPhee, Mary Poppins, etc.) Maga couldn't stay forever and would be leaving in a few days. He got very sad and cried. It was heartbreaking to see, but it did make it easier for him when the time came. Both he and Ian still talk about the day we flew kites in the field with Maga (which turned out to be the greatest thing ever and is totally attributed to Maga's ingenuity) and Miles still asks about Maga whenever we go by her room.

3 comments:

  1. Actually the diagnosis was congenital stricture of the ureter which caused my ureter to dilate to the size of my colon and cause hydronephrosis. The reflux was j ust one of the symptoms. I can never thank all our wonderful family members for all their help in getting us through the last six months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was the lucky one who actually got to spend time with you guys. I am so grateful that you are healing up so nicely Lisa. Matthew, I love you. That is a beautiful blog. I should load all my fun pictures. I miss everyone so much every day. I was blessed to spend time with Liam and Ian and Miles. Now I really know them and they know me.....mwahahahahahahahahahaha.
    The kites were one of the best times. Plus they now love that song-"Let's Go Fly a Kite!" I miss you all and I love you all more than I can say.
    Love,
    Maga

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grandma's are the best! Even if all of this has been a terrible mess, at least family got to spend time together!

    ReplyDelete