My favorite thing to do as a child for Pioneer Day was go to the Bountiful Pioneer Day carnival. I make my children go every year too. It turns out twenty bucks doesn't buy nearly as much as it used to. We did do the fish pond, a few bouncy houses, and get some fry bread. Then the money was gone.
They did have a free to use playground (only because it was part of the park) and that gave the kids a little something extra to do.
Liam wasn't thrilled about going. I may or may not go back next year, but this year at least the kids got to enjoy something I loved as a kid.
On the way home Miles found a snail. He named him "Snail-y" He kissed him and held him. He would plunge him into puddles and half drown him because he looked thirsty. Ian screamed if it got to close because he thought it was disgusting. Miles wanted to bring his new best-friend, newest pet, Snaily home. I told Miles that snails were not allowed in the car. Miles asked if he could ride on the roof. Thinking that through I agreed that Snaily could ride on the roof. As we walked home and Miles love and affection for his pet began to grow exponentially I began to have some qualms. I tried to convince Miles that snails like to sit in damp shady areas like the one in our car, I told him that Snaily wouldn't be happy at our house, finally I lied and said that sometimes snails leap off car roofs because they see a nice place to stay. Miles was sure that Snaily would stay put. I stuck Snaily on the roof, buckled the kids in and Matt drove off. A few minutes later I heard Liam say "Bye bye snail". I knew the snail was gone forever. As we approached home Miles looked at me with giant blue eyes and said, "I've been praying and praying that Snaily will not jump off the roof". I felt pretty rotten. Especially when we got home and Miles began weeping that Snaily had run away. He lay on the stairs crying. When he finished he announced pathetically "If any of you see another snail please let me know." We did not see another snails and by the next day Miles had forgotten.
Liam looks gleeful
ReplyDelete